Help the Team
Please help support I.S. 318′s chess team. Our funding has been reduced every year for several years now and, as a result, we’ve had to make very deep cuts. We won’t be able to take many students to Nationals or go to many of the tournaments we regularly win or do well in, including the Marshall, the New York State Championship, Girls Nationals, High School Nationals and Elementary Nationals.
Eighty-seven percent of the students on the chess team are from homes with incomes well below the federal poverty line, which is currently just $22,000 for a family of four. That’s even harder to live on in New York City – one of the most expensive cities in the world – than it is in the rest of the country. The money you donate will help give these kids educational experiences they would not otherwise be able to afford. Because we bring so many kids to tournaments and Chess Coach Elizabeth Vicary works on salary, your donated dollar is spent extremely efficiently and goes really far. For example:
- $40 sponsors a student to play in a weekend Marshall Tournament. Playing in the Marshall is the first introduction chess team members get to a time control slower than G/30, and it’s an essential part of getting over 1800.
- $133 ($70 hotel; $35 entry fee; $28 train) pays for a student to go to Amateur Team East, where they play six slow time control games against strong players and analyze them with me. It’s the equivalent of 36 hours of serious chess training.
- $160 ($70 hotel; $40 entry; $50 train) pays for a student to play in the State Championship in Saratoga Springs, New York.
- $650 pays for a student to compete in Junior High Nationals in San Diego, California.
- $5,000 pays for six students (and two teacher coaches/chaperones) to compete in the National High School Championship in Nashville, Tennessee. Last year, I.S. 318 finished in second place by half a point. We have kept our three highest rated players (they are in 8th grade this year) and we hope to make history by being the first junior high school to win the section.
- $30,000 pays for 40 kids to compete in Junior High Nationals.
Any donation amount is greatly appreciated. You will receive thank you cards, photos and games from the kids who benefit from your generosity. For large donations, the school will write you a tax receipt. Donations can be made via the PayPal link below or by check.
Checks, made payable to I.S. 318 Chess Team, should be mailed to:
101 Walton Street
Brooklyn, NY 11206
For more information, please contact I.S. 318 Chess Coach Elizabeth Vicary at firstname.lastname@example.org.